Friday, February 17, 2006

Emiglia Romana ONE FACTORY AFTER ANOTHER

July 8th, 1986. We went to Reggio Emilia. Here is what I wrote in my journal for that day"Went to churches in Reggio Emilia today.

We were in the Church called St. Francisco. 7 foot tall carved wooden chairs lined the walls. Very beautiful. Went to the the Teatro Valli. Lots of gold loges. Cheese factory smelled really bad!! but very interesting. A big tub of yellow-white bubbling "water" got scooped up by two men with a big cloth. They fold the cloth over and stick it into a wooden ring. Then they stick it into a storage room with rack upon rack of of cheese. I made the mistake of touching one and my finger stunk for a week, I swear.:
Then we went to the Giglio factory which makes milk products, like yogurt and soft cheeses. We were very tired at this point and very hungry. Then we went to the Lombardini Factory. They were making lots of motors and things with boiling hot metal. We were running late as usual so we finally had lunch at the factory's canteen. We got a metal tray and went through a line. We did have a bottle of wine with our meal.Alain got one and shared it. He said that he told the guy that he was French and had to have wine with every meal. How clever! Terrible lunch. The wine was bad too.
We got back in the bus and ended up getting lost. There was a bell factory there so we visited it, although it was not planned. It was very old and primative. The bell tower was very loud..too loud. I played cards in the bus with Alain (France), Dany (Israel) and Kristin (Iceland). Got to Castelnuovo ne'Monte. I did not climb all the way to the top. I took lots of pictures there. We had a fun bus driver. We parked far from the restaurant for dinner. We had the Mr. Dickey show on the bus. There were just a few sandwiches (they did not plan for enough). I think it was a kind of winery. So there was lots of wine. We I had a bit of bread and lots of wine. Vicki (USA), Alain (France) and I drank a lot of wine!! After dinner, Alain chose another bottle and he sat with Vicki and me. We sat outside of the place and drank and talked about social life in our countries. I was very tired on the way home. I sat with Alain on the way home. I had my head on his shoulder and he held my hand. I was very happy. I heard him whisper "Margherita say something. Are you alright?" I was too tired to speak, but very happy. "

The factory day was a such a tiring day. We did so much walking and had so many tours. I can remember all of them fairly well. Even the one at night. I think it was a kind of winery and we were all ushered into a room where there were trays of small salami sandwiches and then tables of bottles of wine.

The rock formation at Castelnuovo was very beautiful especially after being inside in the factories so long. The actual name of the formation is La Pietra de Bismantova. It is very popular with rock climbers. We only went to the chappel and the lowest point. Here is a map of the rock.

Ok in the pictures: In front of the chappel at La Pietra de Bismantova are Sotiris (Greece) with Trine (Norway). The three people in front of the rock formation are Anat(Israel),


Mr. Luigi (Italy) and me! Standing in front of the many cases of wine, are from left to right: Carole(France), Kristin (Iceland), Judith (Switzerland), Tom (USA), Rolf (Netherlands) is drinking, Vicki(USA) ad Cheryl (USA).


Please comment on this day which I am sure everyone remembers. Remember to click on pictures to enlarge them.

No comments: