Sunday, January 14, 2007

Homecoming for the 4 girls from St. Louis August 6, 1986


The following is the very last entry that I have in my journal. "Wednesday. August 6, 1986. Went to Walgreens to drop off all my film. I have 9 rolls. I could have taken 900. They will be ready tomorrow! I went around dropping off presents for people. I can drive again!!!!! It feels like a million years since I was behind the wheel. Mel called to tell me that volleyball is at 7:30. Aunt Mary called to welcome me back. Zio Pete came over to hear about the "old country". I lost almost 10 pounds on the trip. Amazing since I was hungry all the time and ate constantly. I called Angie's mom. Angie and Cheryl slept in the best hotel in Milan. They got a flight from Milan to Rome, Rome to New York and are in NY right now. They will land in St. Louis at 4:30 this afternoon. It is 9:03 am right now. I called vicki and she and I are going to the airport together. Mrs. Polizzi said that the airline also gave them $250 each in cash! We should have stayed with them!!! Ok, I need to sleep now. Suddenly it all hit me that I have not slept enough. I wore my new New York t-shirt to the airport. We met Angie and Cheryl what a loud meeting that was."

The picture is of Cheryl, Angie, Vicki and Me when we all met at the airport in St. Louis. Ok, that was the last thing I wrote. It was fairly typical of my travel journals. I have kept journals since I was about 12 years old. I always give the impressions of the places I visit and ALWAYS talk about food. What we ate, where we ate. Food is important to me. I am glad I had kept this journal because I really would not have been able to remember some of the things in it. I did not write it everyday, but sometimes filled in several days in a row. Sandy, I know that you had a journal. Want to share any of it? I am not sure how I will continue the blog. I have been alternating with a journal entry and a description of someone from the camp. I will keep this pattern for a while but it may be that I will just have a picture and description of one member after another.There are 44 more people to go. Silly me. I thought I could do this whole thing in a year. Here is it a year and even if I write and entry once a day, there are still almost 2 months of work to go. Maybe by March...I'd like to have it finished before my 40th birthday. I hope that you have enjoyed it so far and if you have journal entries of your own or memories and stories to share about the trip, please send them to me. Thanks. Ciao. Marg

No comments: