Saturday, August 05, 2006

The last day together -- breaking up the group




Sunday July 20th, 1986. What a terrible day that was! My journal entry: "I cried all morning. Aernout (Netherlands) and the gang left. I helped Tommy (USA) pack. He was in no shape to do it. We had breakfast. Alain (France) and I opened a bottle of sparkling wine and drank it. it was a Pinot-Chardonnay. We exchanged gifts with people, giving personal items to each other to remember each other. The daughter of my host family arrived. We loaded the car and waited around. We had lunch at the camp but I could not eat. I cried a lot. damn. No more because I will never forget.
We got to the house which was in the town of Toscalano Maderno along Lake Garda. They gave Sandy (Canada) and me dinner. They had guests over but we went to bed by 9:30. We were so exhausted. "

I can remember that day so well. Everyone was either going home or going to a host family. Slowly people were just not there anymore. Leslie had forgotten his good suit so I took it with me and mailed it to him. We were helping each other pack and trying to write in each other's phone books. No one got much sleep the night before. The party went on until we dropped and the next day came too soon. It was so hard to say good-bye.

On that note, I have already gotten several email from you guys. Some are asking about a reunion. I am very happy about that. I would love to help plan one but we need to think seriously about it and find out how many? will spouses/kids be coming too? how long do you want to meet? How close to Bagnone do you want to stay? It is a long way away but if we have some people who want to meet and can do it, then I am willing. Think about it and let me know your ideas.

I will continue to write about the different campo members but from here on the journal entries will be about my stay with the host family. I don't know where everyone went. I know Francesco and Elena took several people home with them. Here is a group shot of everyone while we were in La Spezia. Click to enlarge it.

No comments: