Friday, August 04, 2006

Saturday--- the last bash -- bonfire -- our last night

This was our last night at the camp. Saturday July 19, 1986. I wrote : " We went to the museum about Stelle statues in Poggibonsi. It was very interesting but a small place. They provided us with sandwiches. The town was so old and crumbly. I love the stone houses with their red roofs. Ulf was in the hospital. I think someone said he got shingles. Whatever that is. He got sick several days ago. We stopped at the hospital on the way back to camp. He is going to get to come to camp in Bagnone again next year since he missed so much this time. Back at camp things are getting sad because we know that this is it..the end. Vicki and I went to town to buy some booze. There was a lot of alcohol at the camp that night. There was a big fire and I drank a lot. Genever gin, jagermeister, wine. I was very drunk.
Earlier that day, Alain(France) and I went to visit Mr. Luigi at his house in Bagnone. He has a beautiful house with lots of flowers and antiques. He has one daughter who married Bruno Grandi's son. yikes! Mr. Luigi gave me a rose from his garden. I like him very much. He likes us kids and gets up and dances with us."
I still have that rose. it is drier than dust and very crumpled. Mr. Luigi passed away several years ago, according to Francesco Carpena.
This picture of Rolf (Netherlands) asleep was taken by Ozlem (Turkey). He sent it to me. I think it was taken on this last night or early the next day.
Sorry but I was mixed up. The museum was not in Poggibonsi, but in Pontremoli. The picture of the statues above is from the official website of the town.
I get goosebumps thinking about that night. It was a wild celebration. We all drank so much. It was a mix of emotions, a lot of them sad. People were just wandering around the grounds of the camp offering drinks to everyone. There was a lot of music. How did that mattress get into the trees?

No comments: