Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Second night with the Host Family on Garda


Here is the entry I have for my journal dated "July 22, 1986. woke up at 9. made breakfast then layed by the pool and read a bit. Sandy and I walked to town. They have lots of shops. Fixed lunch for us. It was simple: a big tomato salad and ice cream for dessert. ha. what a combination. We went to visit some friends of Maria Victoria's. They gave us espresso and told us that this was real coffee not like the kind you find in America. It was really strong but good. We went to Salo to do some shopping. I finally bought a pair of pants so that I had some too. White ones from Benetton. We ate dinner in a place called Caprice Bar & Pizzeria. I got a Pizza Siciliano which was cheese, tomatoes and black olives (with the pits still in them) I had a huge cappucino later. We went home to watch TV. Planet of the Apes and Simon & Simon in Italian of course. "

I can remember when we ordered pizza the first time in Italy. One of the Tommys ordered pepperoni pizza. In the USA pepperoni is a style of spicey sausage, like a salami. Well in Italy if you order a pepperoni pizza, you get pizza with lots of peppers, in the us we call these peppers pepperoncini. Anyway, talk about shock when you get that pizza. We quickly learned to call it Salami pizza. I was of course quite flattered to know that your basic cheese pizza is called Pizza Margherita, named not after me but after the first queen of Italy. alas....! there was also a commercial that played on TV a lot. It went "porta casa Margherita." It means something like "take Margherita home." In this case "margherita" was the name of a washing machine.

Here is a picture of me sitting on the hammock that overlooked the lake. It was really heavenly at that house.

No comments: