Thursday, December 14, 2006

July 31, 1986 the day is in ruins!

My journal from July 31, 1986 is as follows: "We slept until 11 am! Both the mom and the dad would be gone all day. Vicky called and we planned a spot to meet at the airport. We went to town and I called my mom to update her on the flight info. Then I called my cousins. I will go to Trento on Monday. We ate lunch at home. Zucchini with peppers, onions and tomatoes. Very good. We are going to Sirmione today. It is very humid since it rained a bit this morning, the first time in 2 weeks. Will write more later. Sirmione was very interesting. Old ruins from a Roman palace were on a peninsula. I took a ton of pictures. It rained very hard on the short ride home. I bought some presents for people back home. I am so hungry. Tomorrow Sandy and I are going to jump on a bus to Salo and get the presents she needs. We are going to Enzo's and to a disco tomorrow night. We watched Festibar '86 tonight. I had a nap after the ruins and suddenly I have a feeling that Alain and I will become those kind of friends who only send letters at Christmas, a card or a scribbled note. I did have a funny dream of a reunion. It was new years eve many years from now. I hope it doesn't come to that.
The water today was so incredible. The storm was coming so the lake was was shades of blue that I have never seen before. I hope that my pictures come out well but somehow I think they will never match what I really saw. Ciao. Have good dreams. "

I was able to go to Sirmione again when my son was just a baby. It must have been in 2000. It was just as wonderful as I had remembered. The path to the ruins is lined with a hedge of rosemary and olive trees. The ruins extend out into the water and so the views are fantastic. It is definitely worth a visit. Who knows? Maybe we can do that when we have our 25th reunion in Italy? Anyone willing to go?

No comments: