Sunday, December 10, 2006

Venice July 28th, 1986

On July 28th, 1986 Maria Victoria, our host family's daughter took Sandy and me to Venice. We sat for what seemed like hours at the toll gate. That began our hot but interesting day. My journal entry for that day is as follows: "We Left at around 9 o'clock. Took the Autostrada. It took 1 and a half hours. Couldn't find any parking. We walked and walked and walked. It was beyond words. Took some but not many pictures.

We had lunch took in some museums and took the ferry boat. Oh la la those gondola drivers. I kept thinking of the Daphne Du Maurier's story. The place definitely has mystery, as if something is always lurking around the next corner. Tomorrow I will get my flight fixed. Then my worries about that are over. We are going to Lumezzane tomorrow. I liked Venice a lot. So old so many beautiful shops filled with glittering gold. We could not get into San Marcos because we wore shorts. That was disappointing. The Heat. Venice in late July. I really thought that the soles of my shoes were melting. We ate so much when we got home. Mini pizze, string beans, meat, peaches, breat proscuitto, melon, ice cream...We are dead tired."


Except for the picture of Maria Victoria and Sandy (Canada), these pictures are actually from my most recent trip to Venice. I have been there about 5 times now. I love it. I spent 3 days there with my mother and father-in-law. We took our time and explored the city and enjoyed it much more than other trips. There is too much to see and if you try to experience Venice in one day or one afternoon, it is a sensual overload.

No comments: