Monday, December 18, 2006

My last night in Italy -- Alto Adige/Trentino

Here is what I wrote in my journal for August 4, 1986: "I slept fairly well in the big bed alone. Sandy should be home by now. I left the window completely open last night. No shutters. It was nice to get the fresh air. I woke up early but just stayed in bed thinking. I finally got up after 10! I took a shower and had some cookies and tea for breakfast. At 11 we are leaving for Trento. Last night the band in town played "ma la notte no" Wow how that reminded me of the camp. I can see Mr. Luigi dancing to it now. The trip to Trento was fantastic. What scenery! What history! What mountains! We met my cousin, his wife and kids. Then they said that we are going to dinner with them. First we saw a bit of Trento. We went to the top of a mountain on a cable car! That was scary. For dinner we drove to a town that is only 30 KM from the Austrian border. It is in Italy but the people speak German and the architecture already looks Austrian. I gave them my presents. What I did not expect is that they would give me presents to bring back to MY family. Oh, I was counting on that extra space. Oh we it will work out. We got home late and I went to bed. Tomorrow I must be up early to go to Milan for my flight home."

We met with my cousins and had a great time together. Maria Victoria stayed with me the whole time but I think it was not too bad for her. We saw a lot that day.There was a castle with a pit in front of it. Down in the pit lived 2 brown bears. That was strange. From there we took the cable car over the river and up the mountain to a great view of the area. It was spectacular, very different. I can't believe that I did not have any pictures of this day. I think that I ran out of film or something.So this picture is from our trip to Italy just before Easter 2005. It is of the right area, close to the Austrian border. It is good to have cousins in Northern Italy. One more reason to go there. Of course when I was there in August of 1986, there wasn't snow..but it was cold at night.

No comments: