Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday August 3, 1986 Good-bye Miss Canada!

Here is my journal entry for August 3, 1986. "Her plane left at 8:30 am. We were supposed to wake up at 4:30 to get there in time. We woke up at 6:30!!!!!! Oh no. We thought we would miss the plane for sure. I stuffed her last minute things into her suitcase while she dressed. We all jumped in the car. Maria Victoria drove so fast. She was whizzing through the little towns along Lake Garda. Luckily it was early in the morning on a Sunday and there was no traffic. Sandy was flying from Verona airport. We got there at 7:25 and checked her in. As soon as she got there, they started to board. We cried and said good-bye. There was no time for anything drawn out. The plane was already boarding! So all of a sudden she was gone. Enrica was with us and we drove her home. She has a lovely house and we sat in the garden and drank espresso. She claimed that this would be a real Italian coffee not like the kind in the USA. She was right! Erica was leaving for Las Vegas in a few days. That will be a real shocker for her. We went home. I drank some tea and had some pastries that were left over from last night. Then I layed in the sun and relaxed. I took a shower and made some spaghetti. It is very hot again today. I was waiting for Tarchizio to take me to visit his sister. Then Tar called and cancelled for the day. He said he "wasn't feeling well." So I went swimming and layed in the sun some more and read. Then I walked to town alone. I called Alain and we talked for a few minutes. I really need to get another job. Either one that pays better or a second one so that I can save enough to come back to Europe soon. Back home one of Maria's friends named Claudia came over with some friends. 4 guys. One was her fiancee. None of them spoke English so I didn't talk much. We are to meet Maria's parents at the restaurant Darsena. I am not hungry. I just ate some bread and good cheese. But it is early and we don't meet them until 8 pm. I am a little bored. I feel like going out. Tomorrow Maria is taking me to my cousin's in Trento. I don't think I will see Enzo and Tarchizio and the boys before I leave. I go to Trento all day tomorrow and the next day I fly home. That is too bad. They were fun. I am tired. My legs hurt because I exercised them in the pool this afternoon. I am laying here in bed. The music down in the town has started up again. It is sad. It is like we are just waiting for the next day to pass and then I will be on my way home too. I don't want to leave. Sandy is in the air on her way home right now. It is strange not having Sandy here. With the two of us together we always had someone to talk to.
Maria likes doing her own thing and was tired of English. I am sure she will be happy to have her life back to normal too. She was very kind but two strangers for two weeks of her summer holidays was a lot. Good night Sandy. You will be home in a few hours."

The pictures are of Sandy with the host family. Maria Victoria in her pink swim suit, Francesca (Frankie) the mom, Sandy and the Marsilio the dad. The other picture is of the steep path we climbed from the town to the house each day. We got nice leg muscles from that!

No comments: